"We're always in the

Going after a dream...

Chasing a fantasy...

And making it a
reality.

This is what I write
about.

Life is about the chase."

~ Rachelle

One minute, I was getting ready to meet a friend for lunch — and 45-minutes later, I was at Dog Eared Books being interviewed by Mike Sugerman on CBS! Check out the interview.

I was expecting to be a quick “sound bite” in the story, so imagine my shock. I LOVED seeing (and hearing!) Mr. Sugerman reading my book – did you catch his “It’s well-written” at the end? I’m so thrilled!

But, enough about me. :-) What do YOU think – do romance covers embarrass you and prevent you from reading them in public?

Oh, if you didn’t see the New York Times article, “Lusty Tales and Hot Sales: Romance E-Books Thrive,” you might want to check it out, too.

44 Responses to “I was on CBS last night!”
  1. Melissa says:

That’s awesome news, Rachelle! So happy to see CBS pick it up! :) I just got an e-reader for my birthday in fact. Haven’t ordered any books yet. But I’m thinking my first one will be by Rachelle Chase!

2. Rachelle says:

Oh, I would be so honored to help you break in your e-reader!! :-D

I bought an iPad a couple weeks ago and have become addicted to downloading books. I LOVE it!! May you become an addict, too. (LOL)

Thanks a bunch for the nice note.

3. Denise says:

Great interview, Rachelle! He really plugged your books. Awesome job.

I have an ereader. We travel in our RV for my husband’s work and I don’t have the room for all of my books. The ereader fits my lifestyle and I love it.

4. Rachelle says:

Thanks so much, Denise. Yeah, he did, didn’t he? I was really shocked (and pleased!).

Yes, I am truly beginning to realize the space-saving benefits of reading eBooks, so I can see why you’d love it.

Are you finding that you are buying more books?

5. Edie Ramer says:

Rachelle, that’s awesome! And you look so beautiful! And sounded so great. I write the Industry News column for the RWA-WF group. I’ll put in a link to this post.

6. Rachelle says:

Thanks for the compliment, Edie. And thank you SO MUCH for the link. Your continued support is much appreciated!!

7. Cindy Nord says:

Fabulous interview, Rachelle. You did all of us romance writers proud! Very well done.

Cindy Nord

8. Rachelle says:

The feeling that I’m not just representing myself does add an additional level of stress to these types of interviews, so I’m glad that I didn’t disappoint you, Cindy! Thank you for the compliment.

9. Lisa Marie Wilkinson says:

Rachelle,
    You did a wonderful job of representing the Romance genre! Great interview. You must be over the moon with excitement.

Lisa Marie
    IPPY Gold Medal Winner, Romance
    USA Book News Best Books Winner

10. Jessica McBrayer says:

I loved that you were able to quote about male romance readers! You presented as very knowledgeable and just the right amount of sass :) What a great plug for your books and romance writers in general. I’ve heard through the grapevine I’m getting an e-reader for Christmas and I can’t wait!

11. Cherry-Ann says:

Awesome! As Melissa says, great to see CBS cover this genre. Excellent interview:)

12. Vicki says:

What a fabulous interview and he showed your book so many times!!!

I love my eReader, but I also still love holding the book in my hand. :)

13. Rachelle says:

Thank you, Lisa Marie. And, yeah, I will admit to that level of excitement. :-D

Jessica, thanks a million! Well, I made a boo-boo – which I shall attribute to nervousness – the correct stat was 9.5%. :-( … oh, you are going to be one happy woman at Christmas!! Perhaps you should have your list of books ready! :-D

14. Rachelle says:

Vicki, I feel the same way – my iPad will NEVER totally replace physical books. And I am discovering that there are certain books that are much better in hard copy … thanks for the compliment. My God, he did, didn’t he!! :-D

Cherry-Ann, thank you! :-)

15. Angela says:

Rachelle, this piece is awesome and you represented the genre well. You Go Girl!
    And now, I’m not embarrassed by covers. But then I live in a rural community and don’t get out much. My reading is done in the comfort of my bubble tub or snuggled against the pillows ;-)

16. Amber says:

Kudos, Rachelle!

17. Rachelle says:

Angela, thank you for kind words! That’s great to hear you aren’t embarrassed by the covers.

One thing we were discussing off-camera was the “evolution” of romance covers … how do you feel about the period when most covers had flowers, etc. instead of couples or hunky guys?

18. Sharon Hamilton says:

Rachel,
    You do us proud, kid! Thanks for telling me about this great interview. For once, someone (except at the end) that doesn’t shy away from the subject matter. And you didn’t either.
    Point one for our side!

19. Carol Burnside says:

Wow. That was a great segment! Lots of great coverage.

Hey, I write erotic romance, but I’ll have to say yes, some of the covers are so blatant that I feel irresponsible reading them in public view. Not because people would know that I’m reading a hot romance, but because I find it in poor taste to have them in plain view where little kids can see them.

We’re required to have covers on certain adult magazines going through the mail, but erotic romance covers are just as blatant, sometimes more so with the BDSM covers and multiple partner covers.

I hope I’m getting a Kindle for CMas, so problem solved. :)

20. Carol Burnside says:

Just wanted to add that I love the sexy covers and am attracted to look closer at a book because of them sometimes. Much better a bare-chested guy on the front than flowers! :)

21. Anita Clenney says:

Oh my gosh. How fabulous is that! Your face, name, and book covers plastered on CBS. CBS!!! INCREDIBLE! And you were so well spoken, but you always are.

22. Francine Howarth says:

Hi Rachelle,

Fabulous interview and great plug for book!

Re covers: wouldn’t be seen (dead) in public with raunchy paperback cover in hand, but love ‘em on e-books as long as they’re as raunchy as implied! ;)

best
    F

23. Rachelle says:

Amber, so wonderful to hear from you! Thanks!

Sharon, what did you hear at the end? My ears were still ringing from the “well-written” comment, so I might have been rendered deaf. :-D Thank you!

24. Rachelle says:

Anita, I think I’m still in shock over all that. I just could not believe it! Oftentimes, the word “plastered” has negative connotations but … OMG … it is my new most favorite word here! :-D Well spoken? Ah, thanks …

Francine, thank you for compliments and for answering the question. LOL. I’m sure Mike Sugerman would love to have found you on the street to provide that comment! ;-)

25. Rachelle says:

Carol, you raise a good point. I feel the same way when I’m doing book signings at Borders, etc. I oftentimes have candy at my table and I cringe if young kids start heading my way.

And what a great excuse you have for NEEDING an Kindle! :-D Here’s hoping there’s one under your tree…

I think I agree regarding the covers. It’s not like the flowers masked the book from being a romance, anyway, so why try to hide it? And most times, I prefer a hunky guy over a woman on the cover. ;-)

Thanks for the kudos and for sharing your opinion!

26. Brenda B says:

I love it it was a great interview. Sorry but i still feel there is nothing like having the book in hand sexy cover and all. It depends on where i’m going on what book i take out in public with me. So i haven’t crossed to the ebook don’t know if i will. SO keep up the great work and the sexier the cover the better!LOL Keep smiling :)

27. Jenn! says:

Wow! Rachelle. What a great interview and even better plug for your book. And you look beautiful on screen!
    Congratulations, Rachelle!

Jenn!

28. Candi Wall says:

Fantastic interview.

You know, for not really having much time to prepare, you really knocked it outta the park!!!

I LOVE print books, hands down, though I am hoping to get an e-reader for the holidays. On the subject of covers however, I agree that some of the covers are too ‘obvious’ to have out in public. Wouldn’t bother me a bit if it was just me and other adults, but there are always kiddo’s around at the beaches or parks and I don’t want them to see the covers.

29. Gaye Marks says:

Rachelle – that was an awesome segment – well done! You always present so elegantly and eloquently. I loved the humorous interaction between the men, as well. Warmest wishes for the holidays and always.

30. Dona Fellows says:

guys reading romance is not new. When I was living in Italy 11-13 years ago with the military, I constantly ran into sailors off the ships in port looking for the newest romance. I ended up being the go to person to find out what the newest and best on the shelf was.

We command a large market with romance and I don’t think eBooks will change that, except to perhaps enhance it. it hasn’t been that long ago that i overheard at a writer’s conference that publishing online would never go anywhere…heh heh heh…look out world, here we come!!

Awesome job Rachelle. I’m so glad my sister sent me the link.

Dona, aka Kendi McLain

31. Sharon Hamilton says:

Rachelle-I was referring to the chuckle the two guys had about returning the book to his library. But actually, I though it was rather cute. Woo Hoo on the well-written too.

32. Cherie says:

Hi Rachelle..that was great….I think you did fantastic and I did love the way he read from your book and proudly showed off the cover!

I have to say I am not embarrassed at all to read romance or even the erotica books in public…I like to see people’s reactions…they can be quite funny sometimes!

Great job….loved to see an email from you!

33. Michelle Diener says:

Rachelle, WHAT a great interview and segment. You must be thrilled!

34. Rachelle says:

Brenda B, I totally understand. I thought I’d never like e-readers, instead always preferring a book in hand. Now, I like both. Who knew! :-) Thanks!

Jenn, you’re making me blush. Thank you.

Candi, you didn’t see me when I got off the phone. I couldn’t decide what to wear, let alone form a coherent sentence. LOL But, thank you. Yes, the exposure to kids is always a concern. Hope Santa gives you an e-reader for Christmas!

35. Rachelle says:

Gaye, you are too kind. Thank you! Yes, I liked the banter at the end. Who wouldn’t want guys fighting over one’s book? :-) Best wishes to you, too!

Dona, thank you for stopping by and please tell your sister thanks, too! I agree – I don’t think men reading romance is new but I don’t think many people realize it. I love the visual of sailors reading romance – you could have been a “romance book supplier” for the sailors. :-)

I definitely agree about the romance book market share and think e-books will help it – and possibly attract new readers. And yes, we did show them regarding e-books, didn’t we? :-D

Thanks for the compliments and for sharing your opinions!

Sharon, got it. Thanks for the clarification.

36. Rachelle says:

Cherie, I admire your courage – I don’t think I’m that brave. So … what’s a funny reaction you’ve gotten? :-) Thank you for the kudos … and, yeah, I’ve been even worse than usual about tweeting, posting, etc. I always say I’m going to get better but … thanks for putting up with me! And thanks for kudos! Nice to “see” you…

Michelle, yeah, I am thrilled. :-D Thank you!

37. Auriette says:

Great story! I used to work in the news, and a two-and-a-half minute story (inc. intro and live tag) is a really good chunk of news. Of course, most stations didn’t have the amount of commercials my station ran so they’d have more content time to fill. Still, good for you!! You did a great job, and hopefully it will inspire a lot of people to check out romance novels.

38. Auriette says:

Oh, I guess I should have said that I’ve never been worried about people seeing what I’m reading, but I don’t read as many of the erotic books. I might think twice before taking “Sex Lounge” to the doctor’s office.

39. Kathy Kulig says:

Awesome interview, Rachelle! Great job. Mr. Sugarman gave positive compliments too. Cool!

40. Rachelle says:

Auriette, I, too, thought that was a significant amount of time and was pleasantly surprised. I totally wasn’t expecting that! LOL re: not taking my book to the doctor’s office. I’m not offended – though I did just give my doctor a copy of SIN CLUB, I certainly wasn’t displaying the cover to the moms and kids in the waiting room. :-D

Kathy, thank you. Yes he did, didn’t he? I’m a very happy camper! :-)

41. Industry News: 12/13/10 | RWA-WF says:

[...] spoke on the same subject on CBS’s Dec. 9th nightly news show. You can watch her segment here and see how many times Mike Sugarman held up her book cover, quoted from her book, and at the end [...]

42. Barbara Vey says:

Rachelle, wonderful interview. You put a very positive light on romance and I bet that guy went home and finished the book. :)

43. Lori Leger says:

Rachelle, you did beautifully! I’m so proud to say I know you. I’m tightening up my manuscript to enter it in the Chase the Dream contest. Wish me ability because luck won’t cut it! :)
    Lori

44. Rachelle says:

Barbara, thanks for the lovely comment – and for mentioning it on your blog, http://blogs.publishersweekly.com/blogs/beyondherbook/?p=2624! I also picked up a few new books to read over the holidays from your blog. :-D

Lori, thank you! We should have contest information shortly. Thank you for your interest…